I was super stoked a couple of weeks ago to be one of Lilian from Travel Armadillo’s nominees for the Liebster Blogging Award!
You may have even noticed the little badge pop up in the right column of my site a week or so ago. But what’s it for?
Well the Liebster Blogging Award is a kind of blogging chain letter, where new bloggers nominate fellow new bloggers to share a bit about themselves and ask each other questions.
It’s always good to get involved with stuff like this, and I’m massively grateful to Lilian for the nomination!
My blog is coming up to four months old now so I guess I can definitely still be classed as a newbie. It’s been rolling along nicely, and I’m looking forward to taking it to the next level soon. But it’s great to be noticed whilst in it’s current form, so without further ado, let’s spill some beans!
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the questions from the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers and ask them 11 questions.
So, here’s 11 random facts about me:
- I didn’t actually travel abroad between the ages of 8 and 22, so I’ve most definitely been making up for lost time since then.
- I speak Spanish, and have been for about four and a half years. I’m a bit out of practice though due to the break I took for travelling last year – apart from our nine days in Spain of course! ¡Pero necesito practicar y aprender más!
- I tend to surprise most football fans when I first meet them by telling them I support Valencia. It’s not what you’d expect from an English boy! I’ve been lucky enough to see Los Ché both over in VLC and in England however.
- I went travelling with Chelcie after only 9 months of being together. We both recognised it was a massive risk, but thankfully it went excellently. Hooray!
- I’m a massive skimboarding fan. I thought I’d be skimming all the time when we hit the beaches of South East Asia, but the only sighting of a skimboard I got in the entire three months there was that of a young Aussie kid who’d brought his own. Devastating!
- When it comes to food I’m crazy about spicy stuff. This was one aspect of hitting Asia that didn’t worry me one bit!
- My first ever solo trip almost fell through the day before when my car’s head gasket gave in. I only found an alternative way of getting to the airport and everything just before I went to bed that night. That was not a fun day…
- I used to be a seriously keen Mountain Biker and BMXer, but gave it up because my back didn’t seem to agree with it unfortunately.
- I’m determined to live in Barcelona, preferably before I’m 30. So the clock is well and truly ticking… I got very close a few years back before circumstances dictated otherwise. Gutting.
- I saved over over £7000 in a year for my 2012 travels, despite switching jobs half way through and having to take on a massive commute to the second of those jobs. It meant a lot of hard work, a lot of sacrifices and a lot of overtime, but it was so worth it in the end.
- Finally an embarrassing one – I got on a quiet train in Mataro that I thought was bound for Barcelona. Turns out it was too quiet… When the driver realised we were on board he had to stop and walk us back to the station. Oops! Good thing we hadn’t got too far.
Now for my questions from Lilian, who kindly nominated moi:
- What’s your favourite place in the whole world?
Barcelona! Without a doubt! To me it’s the greatest city in the world, and I’ve been in love with it ever since my first visit. You can read about how I was initially bitten by the BCN bug on one of my very first posts!
- What has been your worst travel mishap or misadventure?
Probably the time the van we were travelling in gave up the ghost in Mataro, Spain. This was particularly bad because it was also our accommodation! Whilst we were put up in a decent hotel for a week, it ended up being a long stressful drive back to England.
- What is the best dish you have had while while travelling?
Oh man that’s a tricky one! There’s been so many… From the perfect lasagne at “Life” in Rome, to the AMAZING burger I had in Chiang Mai (not particularly Asian I know!), and the awesome beef ball noodles in KL. But the winner for me was the incredible chicken teriyaki dish I had in Penang’s Red Garden food court. Ridiculously tasty! Cramming in a waffle and ice cream probably made it even more memorable…
- Show us your favourite travel photograph!
It’s far too hard to pick my absolute favourite, as I’ve managed to snap a few decent ones out of my thousands of attempts. So I’ll go with one of my favourites at least, which is this one from Legian beach in Bali last summer. It’s a predictable sunset one, but we’d waited ages to see an awesome colourful palette like this one, and it summed up travelling South East Asia perfectly.
- What do you look for most in a destination? Is it nice weather, night-life, culture, luxury, adventure or something else?
For me it’s the culture and the adventure. I think a decent art scene also helps too, hence why Barcelona and Penang have scored so highly with me.
- What would you look for in a travel companion? Or do you prefer to travel solo?
I’ve been lucky enough to experience both, so it’s a tough choice. Whilst I’ve loved the feeling of freedom and the opportunity to meet some awesome people when travelling solo, I also loved being able to share some amazing moments and discovering some epic places with my awesome girlfriend.
- What’s your favourite colour?
- What item could you not travel without?
Aside from the obvious quip of my passport, I’d say my iPod touch. I always need tunes to get me through a journey, and it’s handy to have as a web browser too.
- What type of accommodation do you prefer while travelling?
I’m a hostel kind of guy, as I like the social aspect and energy of them. But admittedly it was good to stay in some cosier places too when travelling with my girlfriend.
- Do you prefer to travel fast or slow?
I do like to see new things, and would get bored just hanging around a place for weeks with nothing to see, so I guess that would class as fast. I wouldn’t want to go so fast that I was trying to cram several cities into a week or something like that though.
- What’s your favourite thing about travelling?
Everything! But to elaborate it’s the freedom, the escape from the mundane, the enjoyment of meeting other like-minded travellers and the possibility of seeing something new and amazing every day. Basically, I love it!
So that’s me! I’ve gotta thank Lilian again massively for my nomination, it’s really great to have been noticed and I’m massively appreciative. I am of course supposed to pass this on to others now, but everyone I would have nominated seems to have already had a vote haha! So I’ll keep an eye out for some other awesome blogs and send it their way when I see them.
Update – 27/02 – I’m baaaack!
Guess who was a lucky boy in getting a second nomination!
No not Steve! Well maybe some Steve somewhere did, but anyhow… It was me!
One of my favourite travel writing ladies – Miss Sam Starling of Totally Sam’s World – sent a nomination my way, so I’m back to answer her questions. Let’s get started!
- What one word sums you up?
I’m gonna choose “determined”, as I had to be to save so much for my travels so fast, and am gonna continue to be so I can see the world as often as possible!
- Where would your dream destination be?
Hmm tricky… I think seeing the Northern Lights in Norway would take that crown now, as I’ve been lucky to see a fair few sunny “dream” places of mine already, so time to think on the colder side.
- If you could only eat 1 type of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I could more than happily live on Mexican food! And hey, spices are good for you!
- Give me 3 things on your bucketlist…
Good question! I haven’t yet thought out a complete bucket-list, so for now I’ll go for:
• Live in Barcelona
• Celebrate Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
• Become a decent snowboarder. I’d need to actually make a start mind…
- What is your favourite chocolate bar?
- If you could speak a new language, fluently, what would it be?
I already speak a decent amount of Spanish, but if I was going to learn a new language it would have to be Cantonese, so that I could really make the most of Hong Kong
- What mode of transport do you prefer to travel by?
I can relax pretty well on most forms of transport, but I guess I prefer trains as the scenery tends to be better than the view from a plane window.
- What is the first song your Travel playlist?
“Hate This Place” by the Goo Goo Dolls – The most appropriate song on the way out of my dismal hometown and on the way to more exciting adventures!
- What would be your dream job?
Travel photographer and magazine designer – Obviously not based in the UK!
- How many continents have you visited?
Just the two so far. I need to work on that…
- What one thing would you like to accomplish in 2013?
Visiting Japan – And I’m making it happen in 25 days time
A massive thanks to Miss Starling then. Make sure you check out her site for one of the bubbliest blogs around!
Now that I’ve also had time to scout around I’m passing on the award to some other awesome blogs. It’s not quite eleven, but here’s the sites that get my vote:
- Adventurous Andrea
- Scratch Off the Map
- Young on the Road
- Troo Adventure
- YQ Travelling
- Luggage Tags and Ticket Stubs
- Explore du Jour
Seriously, where the heck are the guys at?! Oh well, here’s my questions for my chosen people:
- What’s your favourite country that you’ve visited and why?
- What’s your favourite city that you’ve visited and why?
- Tell us one destination you hope to visit this year.
- What’s the worst place you’ve visited and why?
- What is your favourite airline?
- Show us one of your favourite photographs from travelling.
- What three items can you not bear to travel without?
- What’s your favourite travel souvenir you’ve bought?
- What’s your most embarrassing travel moment?
- What’s your scariest travel moment?
- Where in the world do you hope to be in ten years?
Riiiight, I think I’m done here now. Thanks massively to Lilian and Sam once again for their nominations. I was very stoked to receive those. And I’ll look forward to hopefully reading the answers from my nominees!
Featured Image Credit: WindowsAce.com